To celebrate the launch of Balineum’s debut lighting collection, Sarah Watson, the company’s founder, shares her expert tips:
- Embrace both function and ambience with your lighting. You will need brighter light for tasks such as make-up application or shaving, but soft, soothing and flattering lighting is also important to create a relaxing environment.
- Consider how you will use the space and where your natural light sources are. We always recommend using ceiling lights, as well as wall lights, beside a mirror. For maximum control, each one should function separately, on dimmers.
- To retrofit lights seamlessly, make sure that the wall base of the new fitting is the same size or larger than the existing lights.
- White glass is not the only option. Wall sconces with fabric shades are a great way to achieve a softer, warmer tone, and are fine to use in well-ventilated bathrooms.
- Not all bathroom lights need to be IP44 rated. Technically, it is just those that are within 60 centimetres of a water source.