Follow these top tips to create a truly holistic bathroom, inspired by Eastern bathing rituals.
- Objects that are not needed for bathing should be kept separate. So, for example, your toilet should, ideally, not be placed near your bath or shower.
- Maximise space, even if your room size is limited, by revealing as much floor as possible with wall-mounted basins and toilets. Wet rooms and walk-in shower enclosures can also improve the flow of your room.
- The perfect wet room should have invisible drainage. Position either slot drains or a linear grille on the side or in the centre of your shower area, using a slight incline in the floor or a flush shower tray.
- A traditional Japanese shoji screen makes a great room divider in the bathroom, but it should be placed away from direct water sources to protect the wood.
- Eastern bathing philosophy centres around an appreciation of natural finishes. Go for tactile, stone-effect tiles and wooden furniture.